Mushroom-Sage Chicken and Rice with Lemony Asparagus
My family loves this meal. And I love how simple it is to make and that lunch the next day is even better than dinner! YUM! The chicken thighs bake really well and turn out nice and tender. You can use breasts; just make sure you don’t overcook them. And, if you’re really into mushrooms, consider adding another cup or two of porcini or oyster. Enjoy!
Mushroom-Sage Chicken and Rice
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine rice
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sage, minced, or 1/2 teaspoon dry rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In an oven proof skillet (cast iron works great), heat 1T butter over medium high heat. Add half the chicken and brown on both sides and transfer to a plate. Add another 1T butter to the skillet and brown remaining chicken. Transfer it to the plate with other chicken. Chicken will not be cooked through.
- Add 2T butter to the skillet. Once melted add the shallots. Let cook for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and mushrooms and let cook for another 4-5 minutes or until mushrooms are slightly browned and tender.
- Pour wine into the pan and let simmer down almost completely.
- Sprinkle with flour, stir, and cook for a minute or two.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and top with reserved chicken.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until juices in the chicken run clear. Let rest 10 minutes and serve.
- 1 pounds asparagus
- kosher salt and pepper
- 1 lemon
- Bring about 3 inches of water to a boil. Add asparagus, reduce to a simmer, and cook for about 3 minutes.
- The asparagus should be crisp not limp.
- Plate asparagus, season with salt and pepper, and a squeeze of lemon.
KID NOTE: The kids loved the chicken. They did pick around the mushrooms.
VEGETARIAN TIP: Skip the chicken.
GLUTEN MODIFICATIONS: Gluten free as written.