Chicken Pot Pie and a Fresh Green Salad
Rate this post
My kids would eat Chicken Pot Pie every night if I’d let them. So, let’s just say I’ve made my fair share. For a long time I would tweak the recipe just a touch; until this recipe became the winner. True to it’s predecessors, the rich creamy chicken and vegetable center with flaky crust is the perfect comforting meal on a cool night. Consider doubling the recipe and freezing one for another night; you’ll be happy you did.
Chicken Pot Pie
SERVINGS : 6 COOK TIME : PREP TIME :
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup green beans, cut into 1” pieces
- 1 cup carrots, cubed
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups rotisserie chicken, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups frozen cubed hash browns with onions and peppers (or 1 medium potato, ½ an onion and ½ a bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon tarragon or oregano
- 1/3 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 sheet puff pastry (or pie crust)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add carrots and green beans. Sauté for about 3-5 minutes – or until carrots are tender.
- Sprinkle flour over vegetables.
- Cook, stirring constantly for 3 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Stir in chicken, frozen potatoes, salt, pepper, tarragon, and parsley. If the mixture is thick like a paste, thin it with a little more stock or water.
- Lightly grease the bottom of a 9” pie plate.
- Spoon filling into pie plate and cover with puff pastry.
- Press pastry lightly along edges and trim off corners.
- In a small bowl, combine egg yolk and milk to create a wash for the pastry crust.
- Brush the crust with egg wash and then cut 6-8 small holes for venting.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until crust is browned throughout.
- Let stand for at least 10 minutes to cool.
Fresh Side Salad
SERVINGS : 4 PEOPLE PREP TIME : MINUTES
- 2 cups mixed baby greens
- 1 cup arugula
- 1 roma tomato, quartered
- vinaigrette (leftover from another meal)
- Toss salad ingredients with vinaigrette and serve
Serving Size 92g Calories 75 Fat 7 Sat Fat 1 Sodium 153 Carbs 3 Sugars 1 Fiber 1 Protein 1.
KID NOTE: Kid favorite!
VEGETARIAN TIP: Omit the chicken, double the veggies, use vegetable stock.
GLUTEN MODIFICATIONS: Use a gluten free pie crust and rice flour.